Waverly-Belmont Church of Christ
In 1921, A.M. Burton was instrumental in purchasing the property at the corner of 12th Avenue South and Beechwood Avenue for $2,500. Constructed in 1906, the building had served as the home of Belmont Baptist Church. The stained glass window with the previous owner’s name was painted over, and Waverly-Belmont Church of Christ was born.
University Church of Christ
Thirty-three years after the opening of the Waverly-Belmont church, a group of Christians desiring to serve the Vanderbilt-Peabody area began meeting. The year was 1954 when L.E. Cranford, a youth minister from the Hillsboro Church of Christ, saw the need for a ministry among the students at Peabody College, Vanderbilt University, and the nursing students at Vanderbilt Hospital. From that sense of call, the University Church began with 36 members.
Ashwood Church of Christ
In the fall of 1974, Waverly-Belmont had outgrown its building and began to explore possibilities for its future. University, with about 300 members, was open to discussions about merging to form a new congregation. After much prayer, on November 10, 1974, the University and Waverly-Belmont congregations merged to form the Ashwood Church of Christ. Joe Gray served as minister during the merger and remained for two years. Rubel Shelly came to preach for Ashwood in 1978 and remained until 2005.
Green Hills Church of Christ
A group of 48 adults from Waverly-Belmont formed the Green Hills congregation in 1948. The church met for the first time on April 4, 1948, in the home of W.E. Brightwell. Land at the corner of Hillsboro Road and Castleman Drive was bought for the site of a new church building. Built in stages from February 1950 to April 1951, worship services began there in April 1951. The Green Hills Church merged with the Ashwood Church in April 1988 to form the Woodmont Hills Church of Christ.
Woodmont Hills Church of Christ
Following the merger that created the Woodmont Hills Church, God’s blessings on the life of the church caused numbers to continue increasing. In 1987–1988, the leaders began to see the need for a larger and more adequate facility. On August 7, 1994, the Woodmont Hills Church moved all of its classroom furniture, supplies, and teaching materials into the upper classroom floor of the facilities at First Christian Church at 4800 Franklin Road. On the afternoon of Sunday, August 14, the church began two worship services and a Bible study at that temporary location.
After much prayer, options were narrowed and the church purchased a house and parcel of land at 3710 Franklin Road. This 14.4-acre property was deemed enough to build a facility large enough to serve the needs of the Woodmont Hills Church—with confidence that the Lord would supply additional space and options as the church grows. After several months of review before the City of Oak Hill, Metro Nashville, and the State of Tennessee, all obstacles to the construction of a new building at 3710 Franklin were overcome. The property purchase was finalized on December 5, 1994.
The church family committed to funding the construction of a new facility on the property. Construction was completed in the spring of 1997. On Sunday, March 16, 1997, the church met for the first time in the new facility at 3710 Franklin Road. A second educational wing was constructed and occupied in October 1999.
Honoring Our Past
The body of believers that is the Family of God at Woodmont Hills began in 1921. Through the years, the church has made conscious decisions to glorify the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit; to encourage a relationship with the Father; to inspire a sense of belonging; to share Jesus through example and deed, and to reach out to people in need. The values and behavior of a faithful beginning helped shape our relationship with the Father. We owe much to those men and women who have preceded us in this church.